Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

Le jeudi 27 octobre 2005 à 10:32 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 19:18 +0200, Benoît Dejean wrote:
> > Le mercredi 26 octobre 2005 à 19:04 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele a
> > écrit :
> > > Hi,

hi

> > > But are you sure that 10 python applets would each consume 22 MB ? How
> > > much of this 22 MB would be shared among python applets ?
> >
> > In my my first email, i reported that deskbar-applet takes 22MB RES :
> > 10MB are writable and can't be shared.
>
> Ok, so the non-sharable part is about what you would accept as an
> applet's consumption ?

yes. But keeping in mind that other applets take < 10MB shared + private

> Further, there are ways to make the applets share the python process
> space, which would make them share a big chunk of the 10 MB
> non-shareable space.

Share with which other processes ? I'm very curious about this. And as i
explained, i did a lot of python, and i don't know how reduce memory
usage (especially how to reduce private memory usage). So i think it's
very unlikely to happen.

> But I'm a little confused as to what alternative you are proposing
> exactly

no inclusion of VM-based/high-memory-consumption program for
long-running application.

> - are you saying that all applets should be written in C until
> the end of time ?

No. But VM-based languages are problematic. It's OK to run 1 or 2 VM on
your desktop for real applications. But i can't think about running 10
VM. But even if deskbar-applet was written in C, if its memory usage was
22MB, i would be against. The problem is high memory consumption. The
cause is the implementation.

>  I don't see any other way to avoid incurring some
> memory "loss" for applets.

"waste" :)

come on : open gnome-system-monitor / top and sort by resident memory
usage :)

--
Je cherche un emploi de développeur / admin sys&réseau sous GNU/Linux
http://fr.lolix.org/search/cv/cv.php3?id=7101