Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 00:29 +0200, Beno�Dejean wrote:
> what the difference between your search engine and beagle's ?

Just to make things clear: We do not *want* to index anything, we are
just a front-end, an UI for the broad range of services offered in a
nearly-stock gnome desktop, allowing to use a "power" command line tool.

The fact we need to index .desktop and browser bookmarks is just a
side-effect, and really we shouldn't have to do that, browsers should
offer a service to allow querying the bookmarks, just like evo-d-s does
it with contacts/calendars/mails.

The way we index the above files is extremely uneffective, basically, we
read the sentence we want to index, split it around spaces and
punctuation, the store in a hashtable each (word -> match). I don't
think you can do something less efficient than that.

What are our other options ? Using a lucene-like full text engine ?
unfortunately no python version exist for it, and is it worth the
overhead ? Using any custom full text engine written in python, i've
looked at pyndex, but it seems not very operational. Another option
would be to make a gnome-data-server, that maintains what we want,
like .desktop indexes, and epiphany bookmarks. Suggestions ?

Raf