Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

Raphael Slinckx wrote:

What are our other options ? Using a lucene-like full text engine ?
unfortunately no python version exist for it, and is it worth the
overhead ? Using any custom full text engine written in python, i've
looked at pyndex, but it seems not very operational. Another option
would be to make a gnome-data-server, that maintains what we want,
like .desktop indexes, and epiphany bookmarks. Suggestions ?

Raf

My tracker project (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fTracker) should be able to handle that. Tracker is a medusa replacement for Nautilus/Gnome-VFS and also a general purpose metadata server and indexing framework. It indexes, extracts metadata and generates thumbnails on the fly in response to file change notifications from iNotify/FAM.

Tracker is still under developement and for 2.14 I am hoping to optionally integrate Tracker into Nautilus (for metadata and search) and possibly Gnome-VFS to get Vfolders style functionality.

So as my work is cut out for me, I probably wont be able to provide what you want in the 2.14 timeframe but for 2.16 it should be realistic.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/