Re: Font Preferences Dialog Proposal Re: Font Configuration Applet

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 20:50, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 19:34, Samuel Abels wrote:
>
> > Agreed. And while we are at touching the "Details..." Dialog of the font
> > applet - that thing IMO needs a major rework. It is inconsistent with
> > other dialogs, (Headings have a ":" appended, widgets have no indent
> > relative to the headings, ...) and looks kind of cluttered anyway. And
> > what good does that "Go to the font folder" there? It is not related to
> > the rendering options in any way.
>
> How about: "if I install a new font now, I can make use of it to get
> different 'rendering' of the glyphs"? :)
> This, of course, only means that we might need a better way to expose
> users' fonts directory (as in more discoverable).

Well, that button could be related to the font preferences, but not
exclusively to the rendering options. So maybe we can add it back into
the merged window.

> > Thinking more about that dialog - has anyone ever needed this at all?
> > Maybe changing the subpixel order is required on some LCDs, but then I
> > would propose to merge the rendering options with these settings into a
> > new dialog.
>
> It makes sense, though I *always* make use of "detailed" options on my
> first-login to configure FreeType2 auto-hinter.  I'm not sure I'm
> appropriate test-case, though.
>
> If we're to get rid of these purely technical selections, we'd need
> to select one to rule them all.  I prefer "light" (or whatever it is
> in English, second option) forms on my LCD with sub-pixel rendering
> on.  What about others, what selections did you make?

I have been staring at my freshly calibrated monitor for some minutes
now, but even between "Slight" and "Full" I can not make out any
difference whatsoever. That may, of course, still depend on my monitor.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |