Re: Possible plan [Was: No Flags "Policy"]

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 17:11, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 10:07, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> > I would prefer to include it in the official release and let the
> > distributors decide.
>
> We're not worrying about distributors. Distributors can do what they
> damn well please.

When Jeff started the thread he said he wanted to avoid causing problems
for distributors.

> We're trying to work out how to keep it so people in countries such as
> China can download gnome [1], play with it, and hack with it, while
> staying legal and, even more importantly, unoffended. "Don't piss off
> potential contributors."

I had an idea of how distributors could cope with this.

 1) Keep one package of all unoffensive flags, and make separate
    packages for flags which are problematic (i.e. Taiwan).
 2) In the installation process, check if the locale is China and if so
    don't install the Taiwan flag package.

That seems fairly easy to do. Problem solved :)

Damon

PS. Here's some links about the Taiwan flag issue:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/10/6/173153/329
http://www.slat.org/event/redhat-flag-en
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=41785&cid=4409878&pid=4409878&startat=&threshold=-1&mode=flat&commentsort=0&op=Change