Re: nm-edit (was: Re: [3/3] Do something with trusted networks)

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 15:54 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:

> I've decided to take you up on this. If nothing else, so that I can
> mooch BEvERages off of you at OLS (you're coming for the kernel summit,
> I take it?). :)

I actually don't know yet.  It is a sore point.

If I am in Ottawa, we drink!

> I started a very simple gtk-glade project, just about a 100-lines of
> code. It can currently connect to the keyring, retrieve the known access
> points, write back, and delete. Super-simple, it's all functions and no
> interface at the moment.

Nice.

> Before I get too far on the interface, I want to solidify some things.
> First, only WEP keys are actually stored in human-readable form (the way
> the user entered them). So, I can't think of a nice way to let users
> handle something like WPA-PSK, unless nm-applet also stored the original
> passphrase in the keyring.

Not sure what you mean here.

Both WEP keys and WPA passphrases should be stored in the keyring,
today.

> Next up, do we want people to be able to add a Network? If so, the
> nicest implementation (with the least amount of duplicated code) would
> be to have nm-applet listen to a dbus message asking it to pop up the
> "add network" dialog.

For now, I'd ignore this.

> This is really easy to do. My program can do this already. In theory,
> you delete a network and when you select it in nm-applet it doesn't know
> anything about it and asks for a new key or whatever.

Excellent.

> However, more functionality will be a big plus for 802.1x/certificates.
> Perhaps something that can even interface a little with Seahorse for
> certificate management down the road.
>
> Whatever we decide here, it's largely a learning experience for me using
> libglade and gnome-keyring, and maybe some dbus.

If you come up with a nice UI for editing WPA Enterprise, we should put
that in the applet.  The current UI is pretty heavy -- but so are the
number of WPA-EAP options.

Is this bad boy in C?  I don't see any reason not to stick it in CVS,
under gnome/editor or similar.  Dan?

	Robert Love