Re: nm-edit

Robert Love wrote:
>> Before I get too far on the interface, I want to solidify some things.
>> First, only WEP keys are actually stored in human-readable form (the way
>> the user entered them). So, I can't think of a nice way to let users
>> handle something like WPA-PSK, unless nm-applet also stored the original
>> passphrase in the keyring.
>
> Not sure what you mean here.
>
> Both WEP keys and WPA passphrases should be stored in the keyring,
> today.

Unfortunately, I don't see wpa passphrases stored. I see the output of
what the supplicant's wpa_passphrase would output, a rather long hex key.

So, if Billy entered "dog" into nm-applet, they wouldn't see that. I
guess in this case, the GUI wouldn't show anything, would just have an
option to change it.

> If you come up with a nice UI for editing WPA Enterprise, we should put
> that in the applet.  The current UI is pretty heavy -- but so are the
> number of WPA-EAP options.

I actually think the current dialog isn't too bad. It has widgets for
all of the details. The only thing that would make senses is to space
the widgets based on logical groupings -- the order of the widgets
already hints at this. But that might just make it more confusing. The
Windows applet has all of the information spread over several tabs,
IIRC, so I think this is better as is. I'll think about it.

> Is this bad boy in C?  I don't see any reason not to stick it in CVS,
> under gnome/editor or similar.  Dan?

The boy's not so bad yet, but, yes, it is C. I don't grok python. And I
just the existence of libnm-util and libnm-glib, which probably have all
sorts of useful functions. Three cheers for obliviousness.

I'll try making it a little more useful before seeking a home for the
code. Do you think this should build off of the NetworkManager/gnome
subdirectory like vpn-properties or have its own autotooled structure?

--Pat