Re: [3/3] Do something with trusted networks

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 19:19 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> Jens Lautenbacher wrote:
> >> The old behavior (as of the last patch I posted) would not have solved
> >> this, either.
> >
> > Why? The "internal" network would have been marked as trusted, and would
> > always be displayed, so I can select it to try to connect to the AP.
>
> Heh, I wrote the code, I know.  ;-)

Yes, sure - I didn't meant to sound like a PITA..  :-)

> Because of the merge BSSID stuff, we will take the fallback network
> and merge it into the scanned networks (which are merged into one).
> We want to merge fallbacks and the scan, for myriad reasons.

I see.

> > Sad. All the windows laptops have no problem with this situation...
> >
> > By the way, you didn't say anything to the idea to at least display all
> > "fallback" networks as a drop-down/select-menu in the connect dialog so
> > I don't have to enter the same information over and over again...
> > Could this be possible?
>
> Well I suppose we could just list all of the stored networks, not just
> the fallback.  But that seems useful in very few cases.

I think it's problematic that whenever the need may arise to reenter
network information, the information that is on disk somewhere can't be
accessed, but must be given by hand again. Suppose I just need to change
the key (because of a typo or so) - I always have to reenter everything
again. If I had a list where I can select one of the known networks,
this would fill out the UI to the current values - which in turn could
be changed before clicking on "connect". (A UI could be a drop down
select menu with the default entry "New network", and all the UI in it's
pristine state. Selecting another known network from the drop down menu
would then fill in the values)

This could also help with another problem I have at work: They change
essid and key every month, forcing me to enter a new network and loosing
all the collected AP bssids from anywhere around the house...

If I could just select the previous network, change the relevant values
and connect, these adjustments would then be saved on a successful
connect (and wiping out the "old" invalid network the same time)

Thanks for all your hard work,

	jtl