Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
E.g. as an executable (e.g. shell script) that handles the installation.
That is how a lot of commercial programs do it. The shell has the binary
stuff appended to it.

Anyway, the distribution of 'Apps' (or game, etc) was part of the
Developers Hackfest that was held before FOSDEM. At the moment if you
distribute something you need to put in some effort to ensure it works
nicely. I've installed some proprietary software where the instructions
suggested terminal use, but just as well you can open the .tar.gz and
then run the shell script.

I've seen such things (shell script as installer) either.

Loads of GNOME/Linux advice is in the form of things to run on the
command line. From that you cannot infer that for GNOME/Linux you need
the command line. Only that most advice suggests that.

I consider this as a problem.
Why command line seems to be a must when using desktop systems based
on existing Free Software?
( I use terminal even on OSX boxes. Don't use Windows very often these days. )

For fun, try finding out if you can do graphically what is suggested to
be done on the command line. A GUI might be more inconvenient, but
usually it is just as well possible. Still, copy/pasting a command is
easier than writing down all the buttons to click and where they are in
some GUI.

Try give such arguments to a regular visitor of Neowin?
I view GUI as a usage pattern; it is not the best all the times but
some people are just fan of it.
I hope GNOME/Free Software GUI can cover more common tasks, indeed.

No, I was not talking about usage patterns. I said that if an
application is distributed within Windows, things are done to ensure
that you do not need any manual steps.

Well, we can also use ZIP package or "portable" package.
Windows software distribution is a mess, :-)
But those who created launchers want to create launchers I guess; as I
mentioned, there is some use cases not matter you consider them edge
or not.

If you distribute things for GNOME and then do not offer a good
experience (.desktop file), then it is not GNOME that is broken.

It is somehow like distributing Windows software with a shortcut.
Thus a package or installer is required.
But I personally prefer portable applications actually, since I want
to use new applications even if I'm not root.

Depending on my mood:
a. I'd return it and buy another one
b. Maybe Google for a solution

I still do not get what you're after. You want to use a desktop
environment designed to handle 'non working hardware'? That maybe once
you follow some instructions you found via Google?

No, but I expect it provides a Device Manage work-alike, which can
identify the chip of the hardware.
It is always annoying when some newbies in whatever channel ask about
hardware issues and Linux experts have to explain how to use terminal
as well.