Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 19:35 +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Adam  Tauno Williams
<awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
If you launch Firefox once with the "-ProfileManager" option and create
multiple profiles then it will ask you what profile you want every time
you launch it ever after.
Why should I have to select profile every time?

Because you have more than one. ????

If you need to launch an application then you create a launcher.  That
is a total of *once*.  And this is not an end-user activity.   Second
step, since you are a developer, is to file a bug with the application's
maintainers to include an XDG .desktop file in the package; attach the
one you created to the bug report.
Well, what about this app?
https://minecraft.net/download

If it does not package a XDG .desktop file - there is a bug.  I don't
much care which application it is;  that doesn't change the argument.

"open a website"?  That is what browser's are for.
IIRC, Design-suite spin of Fedora 17 has a built-in launcher that
opens Inkscape tutorial web page.
But how can I create one for my favorite GIMP tutorial?

Are you distributing software?  End users have a way to do this -
bookmarks.  If you want to package and design - you are a developer.

And here is how web launchers work -
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Web

This has nothing to do with a desktop environment.  You have Yast, GNOME
System Monitor, and "Details" under control panel.  Probably there are
other applications as well.  But System Adminsitration is always going
to be a Command LIne thing; that is my Microsoft created PowerShell.
Really?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager
"Device Manager was introduced with Windows 95 and later added to Windows 2000."

Yeah, and that isn't a real systems administation tool;  otherwise they
wouldn't have invented PowerShell [which is a really impressive tool
BTW].

BTW, Yast is not a GNOME thing AFAIK; it is only used in SUSE related distros.
GNOME System Monitor and "Details" under control panel cannot provide
any *detailed* hardware information.

"it is only used in SUSE related distros"  is not true.  Yast is a
project of its own.  And I'd assume every decent distribution packages
something for that purpose;  if it doesn't that has nothing to do with
GNOME.

[Aside: "Ubuntu, a LINUX distribution for people who like to complain
about how LINUX is broken, because Ubuntu breaks everything."]

Put it in another way, can you show me a screenshot of how you check
the information of your WiFi chip without a Terminal?

Sure, but the list doesn't allow attachments.