Re: modifications in Lithuanian gnumeric translation

Pn, 2010 07 16 23:46 +0300, Ihar Hrachyshka rašė:
> I think you got it wrong. If you think that accusing respected GNOME
> team members and treating them like criminals ("he stool my code") will
> help you to push your private point of view on local linguistic
> questions... then you're wrong.
>
> More than that, you *must* follow Code of Conduct which you don't.
> Please start feeling responsibility for the form and meaning of what you
> write to gnome-i18n@ and then possibly your linguistic arguments will be
> heard in local team discussions.
>
> And I completely agree with Žygimantas when he states that "...an
> opinion of people on any third-party mailing list in question is not the
> deciding criterion on any issue by any means." It's cool when you have
> social agreement on all of linguistic questions between all of
> localizers for your language. But sometimes life is harder so it's ok
> when we have at least agreement in local *project* team. There is
> nothing about censorship in which you *accuse* other fellows.

That is exactly what I am saying. However, there is a bit more in that
than a local project agreement, in this case. As you might probably
know, back in the day, the main reason behind choosing one thing over
another was consistency with other major FOSS and proprietary software.
I do not want to ridicule Tomas here, but yes, he is absolutely right on
the point that some projects (e. g. Mozilla) have a friend of mine
involved, for those of you in the conspiracy theories.

It is ironic, and upsetting, though, that the ones accused of pushing
one term over another in a totalitarian manner (whom Tomas has
ingeniously called "'failas' gang members") were the ones who, first of
all, had to get over their personal preferences and swallow it all for
the sake of the aforementioned integrity to get where we find ourselves
today. It actually was a local project team agreement, as Ihar put it,
or policy, if you want. But that is the way it goes.

And the way I see it, it is plainly unreasonable to have it all
rearranged just because someone comes up with an objection "to respect"
his work, for he prefers one thing over another. Obviously, Tomas has
different thoughts and would like it to be the other way round. I
understand his discontent and do not want to upset him, however, to me
the die was already cast and we should keep holding onto that policy and
move along. The issue arises from that that the charger does not take it
seriously, or misunderstands it and takes the case to be an issue of
personal recognition and respect (which is understood in a somewhat
obscured manner here when you look at it the way previous emails
suggest).

Needless to say, if Tomas or anybody else came up with other serious
issues, which do not involve dealing with the aforesaid agreement, such
as incorrect, inaccurate translations, spelling mistakes, etc., it would
be different matter altogether.

Lastly, I am convinced that it is almost impossible to understand a
thing without leaving aside emotional background and all the gall first.
I am trying my best to explain the reasons and situation to get it all
sorted out, but it is getting tiresome and hopeless.

Kind regards,

Žygis