Re: modifications in Lithuanian gnumeric translation

2010.07.16 18:50 Andre Klapper rašė:
>> I have two acceptable solutions:
>> 1. Ž.Beručka proves that byla->failas replacement
>> - is acceptable
> [...]
>
> It has been written several times now that gnome-i18n@ will NOT discuss
> linguistical issues of the Lithuanian language. Please do understand
> that and do not come up with this aspect again on this mailing list.
> (Also note that "proving" is a highly subjective term.)

Is voting highly subjective term? I was not asking much on my page about
gnome. Prove that "failas" has absolute majority in mailing list. Simple
and does not require any external statistics. He could not do that in
those bug report links you posted, because I suspect that 800 vs 300 and
58% vs 36% is not absolute majority.

He might be able to do that now, when he and other "failas" gang members
dominate major OSS translation projects. Yet somehow he does not want to
take that risk and hides behind "translation team rules" that he wrote
himself.

>> When I updated gnumeric translation on vertimus, I've deliberately put
>> translation coordinator in situation when he could either reject my
>> work or commit translation with style changes
>
> Contributing but not accepting the guidelines/rules/traditions of the
> translation team and starting fights on it afterwards - though it seems
> that it was totally clear to you and expected by you beforehand that
> changes to your translation will take place while or after committing
> your contribution - does not make much sense.
> Does it to you? And would you have reacted differently if your
> contribution had been rejected? If so, how?

Yes. I would have reacted differently. I would remain silent. Purpose of
that update was to tempt coordinator to use updated version, because it
updated 500 strings or something close to that. I don't ask to see sense
or logic in my behavior. Doctors haven't tested me for logic since fourth
year in high school. If I live by sense and logic, I won't be contributing
to OSS.

Instead of writing off translation he decided to use it in a way that was
not acceptable by me. He could notice the bait and avoid it.

>> If you want to do your way, you will have yet another disgruntled
>> translator, but G.Miliauskas and Ž.Beručka should resign their
>> copyrights on this translation to FSF like I did.
>
> That is entirely up to them (being the authors) and their personal
> decision, hence not a topic for this mailing list either.

removal of copyright messages is also acceptable? GPL allows to modify
files, but it does not mean that copyrights disappear, if person deletes
or does not add them. Especially when copyright notice was present on
submitted file.

--
Tomas