Re: modifications in Lithuanian gnumeric translation

Hi all,

Pn, 2010 07 16 19:23 +0300, Tomas Kuliavas rašė:

> Is voting highly subjective term? I was not asking much on my page about
> gnome. Prove that "failas" has absolute majority in mailing list. Simple
> and does not require any external statistics. He could not do that in
> those bug report links you posted, because I suspect that 800 vs 300 and
> 58% vs 36% is not absolute majority.
>
> He might be able to do that now, when he and other "failas" gang members
> dominate major OSS translation projects. Yet somehow he does not want to
> take that risk and hides behind "translation team rules" that he wrote
> himself.

First of all, I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Secondly, an
opinion of people on any third-party mailing list in question is not the
deciding criterion on any issue by any means. Thirdly, the "failas vs.
byla" story has gone into oblivion for good. The following is not an
argument, just some information you are probably missing somehow,
calling me "a gang member", self-proclaimed authority, and so on: 1)
this is what the consultation bank of the Commission of the Lithuanian
Language has to say on the issue: http://vlkk.lt/lit/1105 (no "byla"
there); 2) KDE, OpenOffice.org, Mozilla's projects, and many others all
use "failas" (not to mention Microsoft, you seem to hate so much).
Period.

If you are interested in more on that, browse the archives, the web,
etc. The reasons, the story, quarrels, arguments – it is all there. And
do not try to force anyone to discuss it over and over again. And if you
do, I will simply drop your emails on the topic. Nothing personal
(emphasis), it is just that I have lots of more important work to do and
do not want to waste my time on raising the dead.

And respect the list, please, no more language related issues here, as
Claude has clearly said already.

> > Contributing but not accepting the guidelines/rules/traditions of the
> > translation team and starting fights on it afterwards - though it seems
> > that it was totally clear to you and expected by you beforehand that
> > changes to your translation will take place while or after committing
> > your contribution - does not make much sense.
> > Does it to you? And would you have reacted differently if your
> > contribution had been rejected? If so, how?
>
> Yes. I would have reacted differently. I would remain silent. Purpose of
> that update was to tempt coordinator to use updated version, because it
> updated 500 strings or something close to that.

[...]

> Instead of writing off translation he decided to use it in a way that was
> not acceptable by me. He could notice the bait and avoid it.

500 hundred strings is OK. However, as far as I am concerned, the
behaviour which includes FUD, personal attacks (of which I have had
enough from you), provocations (such as the above), egocentricity
(credits, credits, credits; when no one even thinks of questioning
them!), not to mention the statements incompatible with GPL (the concept
of Copyleft) you had in your "disclaimer" concerning your Gnumeric
translations, causes more harm than good to the teamwork.

That is why Gintas said that he can remove your contributions (there is
nothing in GPL, that would force him to do this, though), if you are
unable to cope with having something changed in the name of consistency,
and other reasons he, as a team leader, might have. It is a pity,
though. If I were him, I would second Ihar and care more about users, as
GPL's spirit is also in users' favour in this case. See? Gintas is too
kind. :)

It may sound a bit banal, but one cannot expect to work with the team
and not to work with the team at the same time.

> >> If you want to do your way, you will have yet another disgruntled
> >> translator, but G.Miliauskas and Ž.Beručka should resign their
> >> copyrights on this translation to FSF like I did.
> >
> > That is entirely up to them (being the authors) and their personal
> > decision, hence not a topic for this mailing list either.
>
> removal of copyright messages is also acceptable? GPL allows to modify
> files, but it does not mean that copyrights disappear, if person deletes
> or does not add them. Especially when copyright notice was present on
> submitted file.

What are you talking about?

The header of the file you attached in Vertimus:

# Lithuanian translation of gnumeric.
# Copyright (C) 2004-2007,2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# See http://www.topolis.lt/gnome/ before you modify it.
# Palaiminti užsispyrę, nes jie pasiekia tai, ko nori.
# Arba bent jau tai, ką nusprendžia pasiekti.
# $Id: $
# Gintautas Miliauskas <gintas akl lt>, 2006.
# Žygimantas Beručka <zygis gnome org>, 2009.
# Žygimantas Beručka <uid0 akl lt>, 2009.
# Tomas Kuliavas <tokul users sourceforge net>, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007,
2010.

The one in git:

# Lithuanian translation of gnumeric.
# Copyright (C) 2004-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# See http://www.topolis.lt/gnome/ before you modify it
# Palaiminti užsispyrę, nes jie pasiekia tai, ko nori.
# Arba bent jau tai, ką nusprendžia pasiekti.
# Gintautas Miliauskas <gintas akl lt>, 2006.
# Žygimantas Beručka <uid0 akl lt>, 2009.
# Tomas Kuliavas <tokul users sourceforge net>, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010.

Where is the problem? Copyright? Credits? I do not get it.

Kind regards,

Žygis