Re: [Evolution] Evolution/GPG

to. den 11. 02. 2016 klokka 10.09 (+0000) skreiv Pete Biggs:

OK, so I ran the file command, file attachment.dat, and got this
message: 'very short file (no magic)'. No 'strange' number or strings or
anything! Extremely educational answers from you, even though it's 'far
from Evolution'. Or is it. So 'no magic', 'ey?

The "magic" refers to the mechanism it uses to work out what the file
is. Each type of file has a certain pattern of bytes in it that is
unique - the uniqueness may be by design to help the process (so there
are certain byte sequences at specific points in the file) or it may be
coincidental and found by trial and error.  Whatever way it is, then it
looks like "file" is using magic to work out what the file does - hence
the name.  If there is not enough content in the file to perform the
magic, then you get that error message.

If you want to know more, do 'man file' and 'man magic'.

P.

Great! I will certainly do that! So, I got nothing to worry about then,
right? The files aren't dangerous in any way? Perhaps it's because the
mail were empty except the encrypted file? At least I've learned about
magic, file and Cntr+U. Thanks again!

SRW