Re: [Evolution] Annoyance with "next message" order

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 18:05 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
I don't know about that, but you can save a custom view (including sort
order) by setting the folder how you want and then doing View -> Current
View -> Save view.   Then it's reasonably trivial to set the correct
view of a folder when you first visit it (and that will remain until
it's changed).

Thanks Pete, this answers a question I hadn't asked yet.

However, when I did this my computer exploded. OK, not quite, but I had
the same reaction as if it had. This is what happened:

1) I sorted my in box by date (having long ago done things like chosen
columns, etc.) by clicking on the "Date" column header.
2) I clicked View | Current View | Save Custom View.
3) Named it "In Default" (without the quotes).
4) Clicked the "Save" button.
5) Then went to click the "Label" column header so that it went back to
how I prefer to have my *in* box sorted. (The point of creating and
saving this custom view is to apply it to other mail boxes where I don't
label messages.)
6) There was no response. So I clicked on the "Date" column header to
sort by that. The "Date" column DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY! WTF?!
7) Right-clicked on any column header and selected "Add a Column ...".
8) Up popped a box with a number of column names listed, including
"Date".
9) I dragged the "Date" button to the position I wanted it between two
other columns and dropped it.
10) Nothing appeared.
11) Clicked the "Close" button on the list of possible column names to
add.
12) So I then did what I've done before: right-click on any column
header, click on "Customise Current View".
13) Click the "Fields Shown ..." button.
14) Now the "Date" field/column is no longer even listed as a possible
field/column to add any more.

With rising panic and great trepidation I closed and opened Evolution.
Date column still not there, but I essentially repeated steps 12 and 13
and everything seems to be back to normal, and the "Date" column (which
had also somehow been removed from other, but not all, mail boxes) is
back. However, now I'm afraid to save a custom view, even though it's
exactly what I have been looking for.

Evolution 3.10.4 under Xfce 4.10 on Xubuntu 14.04.2, in case anyone
wants to follow up or tell me what I did wrong to cause such weirdness.
Thanks.

Craig