Re: [Evolution] Annoyance with "next message" order

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 17:08 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 17:05 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

My main issue with the sorting, FWIW, is the fact that we sort
on the  Date: header and not the time the message was actually
*delivered*. So  when we get a misdated mail from the future, it
sits as the "newest"  message in the mailbox until the world
finally catches up with it. Or  we get annoyed and delete it.

Add a column called "Recieved" (which is the date received) and
sort on that.

Actually, you don't need to add the column - just right click on the
header bar (i.e. the Subject or From header) and got to "Sort By"
and select "Received".

Next daft newbie-user question... how do I make that the default for
*all* folders instead of having to change them one by one?

Other than committing a change to Evolution... or come to think of it,
shouldn't we do that?

There are two cases when 'Sent' is different from 'Received' by more
than an irrelevant few seconds:

There's the case I mentioned, of spam or otherwise misdated mail.

And there's the case where a mail is delayed in transit by greylisting
or some other mishap, and then if you are viewing in 'Sent' sort order
and looking below the other mails you've already read, you might not
see it. That actually happens to me more often than the spam with bad
dates in the future, in fact. And probably *actually* happens more
often than I know! :)

In both of those cases, surely we're better off sorting by Received
date not Sent? Should we make it the default?

--
dwmw2