Re: [Evolution] Annoyance with "next message" order

On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 15:00 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
Hi all.  This has bugged me for years but never enough to complain about
it (until now, I guess :)).  I wonder if it's just me, or just my setup,
or what.  I'm currently using Evolution 3.12.10 but I've seen this for a
number of releases (maybe always?)

I order my folders by Received (Ascending) so my newest messages are at
the bottom, and I enable threading.  So suppose I get 15 new messages
and 10 of them are in the same thread.  I select the first one in the
thread, read it, press ^D to delete it... and at least 50% of the time
instead of automatically selecting the next message in the thread
according to the ordering shown in my folder, Evo jumps over the next
message (or two, or whatever) and selects another one inside the thread.
When this happens, it never goes back to the previous messages in the
thread; if I keep deleting it will get to the last message in the
thread, delete it, then go to the next message after the thread.

This is really surprising, especially because often the skipped messages
have context needed to understand the selected message.  Also, if I back
up to the first message that was skipped and delete that one, Evo will
jump back down to that same message again, skipping the intermediate
ones.

It seems like the "go to next message on delete" algorithm is not using
the same ordering as the "display threaded messages in a folder"
algorithm.

Does this happen to anyone else?  Is it a known issue?  Should I file an
enhancement request about it?

Also, what is the ordering that "go to next message on delete" actually
uses?  I might even be willing to choose the same order for my display,
if I knew what it was.

It's never been completely clear to me what these ordering really mean
when combined with threading. I have folders ordered by Received
(Descending, i.e. the oldest thread first) and this problem doesn't
happen to me. I suspect the problem has to do with wanting the most
recent thread (i.e. the thread with the most recent message) at the top
but the messages within each thread go from oldest to newest. I'm not
saying the behaviour you see isn't a bug, but it may only manifest with
this particular configuration. If you feel it is a bug then you should
consider reporting it to BZ.

poc