Re: [Evolution] Annoyance with "next message" order

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 11:31 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
It's never been completely clear to me what these ordering really mean
when combined with threading.

I'm not so worried about the order in which different threads are
displayed.  But within a single thread it seems to me that whatever
order is shown in the folder, should be the same order used by Evolution
to choose the next message to display when it automatically moves to the

I have folders ordered by Received (Descending, i.e. the oldest thread
first) and this problem doesn't happen to me. I suspect the problem
has to do with wanting the most recent thread (i.e. the thread with
the most recent message) at the top but the messages within each
thread go from oldest to newest.

That's why I order my mail Ascending instead of Descending, with the
newest mail at the BOTTOM of the folder.  Although it's a bit weird at
first, this seems the most natural to me; it aligns the inter-thread
order with the intra-thread order: both go from oldest at the top to
newest at the bottom.

Also, I like to read my email starting with the oldest new message and
going to the newest new message: if you sort Descending this doesn't
work because you read the oldest new message, which is at the end of the
new messages, then delete it, and Evo automatically chooses the next
message BELOW that in the list, which is the first message you already
read.  I want it to choose the next NEW message, which means it would
need to go UP in the folder.  Note this is a separate issue from the
threading order.