Re: [Evolution] Annoyance with "next message" order

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 16:44 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 08:21 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
I have folders ordered by Received (Descending, i.e. the oldest
thread
first) and this problem doesn't happen to me. I suspect the
problem has to do with wanting the most recent thread (i.e. the
thread with the most recent message) at the top but the messages
within each thread go from oldest to newest.

That's why I order my mail Ascending instead of Descending, with
the newest mail at the BOTTOM of the folder.  Although it's a bit
weird at first, this seems the most natural to me; it aligns the
inter-thread order with the intra-thread order: both go from
oldest at the top to newest at the bottom.

I misunderstood you. As I said, I also have oldest first (both
threads and messages) yet I don't see the behaviour you describe.
However I seem to have a custom sort order which I must have
configured a long time ago and forgotten about. I can't find an
obvious way to see what it's set to.

I don't have a custom sort order, and I also see the saner behaviour
you describe, Patrick. If I delete a message, focus moves to the next
message below it in the display. Not the next newer message in the
mailbix which may be elsewhere in the threaded display.

My main issue with the sorting, FWIW, is the fact that we sort on the
Date: header and not the time the message was actually *delivered*. So
when we get a misdated mail from the future, it sits as the "newest"
message in the mailbox until the world finally catches up with it. Or
we get annoyed and delete it.

--
dwmw2