Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 07:34 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 21:41 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 06:39 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
So either
(a) Evolution did not ask the server to do the search
  - or -
(b) their implementation of IMAP search is lame.

Without tracing Evo, I can't say which of these is the answer,
though I suspect it's probably (a). Google obviously does do search
(duh) and there's no reason why it should do it badly just because
it's an IMAP connection, even if their IMAP implementation is not
the best. I don't know how Evo decides whether the server can do
searching.

        Hi,
I tried to trace it (better know than guess). I invoked a simple "body
contains evolution" search on a GMail Inbox folder from evolution and
that was done server-side, as can be seen here:
   H02430 UID SEARCH BODY "evolution"
   * SEARCH 112 116 376 468 748
   H02430 OK SEARCH completed (Success)

I think it depends on the search itself, but the IMAPx tries to search
as much on the server as it can. Searching in summary headers is left
for a local search, of course.

Interesting. I don't understand why it's so much slower than the direct
webmail search. Perhaps it's iterating over the subscribed folders,
whereas the direct case just looks everywhere by default.

poc