Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 17:55 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On 3 November 2014 16:36, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org>
wrote:
        I doubt there is a MUA that is going to nicely handle
        full-text search
        of very large mailboxes.
Actually there is at least one: Gmail.

Nah, I do not believe it qualifies as a MUA.  There is no decoupling of
the parts it is just "M". :)

Personally I use Gmail via IMAP on Evo, but if I want to do a
large-scale search the Gmail web
interface is extremely effective, so I get the best of both worlds.
Now if Evo had a direct interface
to the Gmail search function, we'd be really cooking :-)

IMAP SEARCH doesn't work?

other account types such as Exchange, there's no reason *in principle*
why this couldn't happen.

If the account is backed by a server - like IMAP or Exchange - it seems
reasonable to be to rely on the backend for search.  For large
mail-stores the local cache can never be assume current/complete.

POP is the odd-case, IMNSHO.  POP [local mail] always seems like it ends
up needing a re-implementation of the server on the client.

I'll go and don my flame-proof suit now ...