Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 00:05 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 13:10 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
IMAP SEARCH doesn't work?
Why ask me?

You are the one with a Gmail account;  my question was if their
implementation of IMAP SEARCH works.

* Using Evo on the IMAP-connected Google account took 70 seconds, giving
51 results. I have a fairly fast desktop machine (i7 cpu with 16GB of
RAM and the root filesystem on an SSD). This is Evo 3.10.4.

I would expect the client not to matter much if it is using IMAP SEARCH
- because then the server does the work.

* Using the Gmail web interface on the same account gave the same
results in under 1 second.

So either
(a) Evolution did not ask the server to do the search
  - or -
(b) their implementation of IMAP search is lame.

So yes, having some special-purpose Google API code probably would help.

I don't see why; IMAP implements server-side search.
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-6.4.4>

A variety of IMAP servers provide some mechanism of content indexing.

If an implementation of SEARCH is lame the maintainers should fix it.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383