Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 06:39 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 00:05 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 13:10 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
IMAP SEARCH doesn't work?
Why ask me?

You are the one with a Gmail account;  my question was if their
implementation of IMAP SEARCH works.

Apologies, I thought you were asking a more general question.

* Using Evo on the IMAP-connected Google account took 70 seconds, giving
51 results. I have a fairly fast desktop machine (i7 cpu with 16GB of
RAM and the root filesystem on an SSD). This is Evo 3.10.4.

I would expect the client not to matter much if it is using IMAP SEARCH
- because then the server does the work.

* Using the Gmail web interface on the same account gave the same
results in under 1 second.

So either
(a) Evolution did not ask the server to do the search
  - or -
(b) their implementation of IMAP search is lame.

Without tracing Evo, I can't say which of these is the answer, though I
suspect it's probably (a). Google obviously does do search (duh) and
there's no reason why it should do it badly just because it's an IMAP
connection, even if their IMAP implementation is not the best. I don't
know how Evo decides whether the server can do searching.

So yes, having some special-purpose Google API code probably would help.

I don't see why; IMAP implements server-side search.
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-6.4.4>

I was actually thinking of other stuff like support for Gmail labels,
conversation threads, spam filtering etc. See
http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/26/no-the-new-gmail-api-is-not-killing-imap/

poc