Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 16:40 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 16:32:20 +0100
Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
Searches with Evolution on my machine take hours
That highly depends on account types (remote vs local) that you didn't
mention.
Local POP accounts. And it's also OT, because what takes hours is
searching within GiB, perhaps just many MiB of mails ;), not the search
within one mail.

I doubt there is a MUA that is going to nicely handle full-text search
of very large mailboxes.  You really need an index to handle that type
of search - and I am not aware of any MUA which indexes message
*content* [vs. headers and meta-data].

For that - if it really is maildir or MBOX format messages - I'd look at
using Tracker for the search, if possible.

For IMAP backens, at least Cyrus IMAPd, pretty good message body search
performance is achieved by letting the server handle the search - in the
case of Cyrus that would be using SQUATter indexes.

At the moment I can't say what MUA does fit best to my needs
Sure, but that's pretty offtopic for this thread...
My apologies. I'm frustrated, Evolution doesn't fit that good to my
work-flow anymore, but I also don't know another MUA that does.
Regarding to my work-flow all MUAs come with advantages and
disadvantages.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383