[Evolution] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

Hi all,
    When I try to search for a string in the full text of a message,
the search takes a very long time.  I haven't investigated closely,
but based on how much disk activity I'm seeing, it looks like it's
trying to open and scan every message in the mailbox in question.
(Which, for me in some cases, is many GB's.)

    I've poked around on the Internet; I get the impression that
Evolution is supposed to have (used to have?) some sort of full-text
indexing for e-mails.  I'm wondering if that's still the case?  If so,
is there anything obvious I could do to debug why my searches are
taking so long?

Thanks,
Adam