Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 12:04:20 -0500
Adam Seering <aseering gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,
    When I try to search for a string in the full text of a message,
the search takes a very long time.  I haven't investigated closely,
but based on how much disk activity I'm seeing, it looks like it's
trying to open and scan every message in the mailbox in question.
(Which, for me in some cases, is many GB's.)

    I've poked around on the Internet; I get the impression that
Evolution is supposed to have (used to have?) some sort of full-text
indexing for e-mails.  I'm wondering if that's still the case?  If so,
is there anything obvious I could do to debug why my searches are
taking so long?

For this reason and a few other reasons I now compare Evolution with
Claws. On my machine even averaged usage of Evolution slows rapidly
down, if I run a guest in VBox and Evolution on the host, while Claws
still is quick as lightning. Searches with Evolution on my machine take
hours, I didn't test searches with that much mails as I've got for
Evolution with Claws until now, so I can't say if Claws is better
regarding to searches. But in the past I used different Mozilla MUAs
that were much faster, when searching, while the mails also were of such
an amount as for Evolution. What ever MUA I try, they all have got
advantages compared to Evolution and also disadvantages compared to
Evolution. Until now most of the things I need work better with Claws,
but OTOH one of the most important things I need is only provided by
Evolution. With Evolution I can use line breaks after 72 chars, but if
I want to quote code, I can use preformatted, that's amazing. A big pro
for claws is, that I easily can set up Windows font sizes for GTK2,
while not using a DE, but just a WM. My fonts for Evolutions main
Window are much too small, while the fonts for the editor are ok ...
I'm talking about the menus, not about the fonts of the text.

At the moment I can't say what MUA does fit best to my needs, nor can I
recommend a MUA fot the needs of others, but IMO we should compare MUAs
from time toio time and then use the MUA that fits best to our
averaged work-flow.