Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

Hello Tom,

Other projects just give 2 or 3 pre-compiled downloads on their sites.
I take it that this project doesn't have the skill-set to provide such
a thing?  Is that why people are getting so defensive about
Evolution's inability to provide what every other project seems to be
able to provide?  If you folks just don't have the skills needed then
how about we just tackle that first and get someone else to do it for
you?

The other projects you are referring to are likely smaller or are of a
semi self contained nature. (E.g. Abiword, Libre Office or Open Office)?
These projects are not tightly coupled to the Gnome Desktop.

However Evolution is tightly coupled to the Gnome desktop making it
difficult to ship a new version of Evolution against an old version of
the Gnome desktop.

The best analogy I can think of is this: you are asking Microsoft to
ship a version of IE 11 that works with Windows XP. IE 11 depends far
too much on internal components of the current Microsoft OS to run on an
old version of the Microsoft desktop. You may say this is a design flaw,
but it is how the software was original designed and continues to exist
to this day. Evolution dependency to Gnome is similar to Internet
Explorer dependency on the Windows Desktop.

Also I think you miss the point. Evolution developers are working on
pushing the code base forward for the latest Gnome Desktop. If they
divided their effort to build packages for popular Linux distributions
(let alone all Linux variants available), they wouldn't have time to
develop new features. This would be counter productive anyway, as the
popular distribution maintainers produce Evolution packages for their
variant of Linux.

So please enjoy the Evolution package carefully crafted by the
distribution maintainer of your choosing. I personally choose Fedora and
have been happy with my choice for a decade.

Thanks,
Rob