Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf mardorf rocketmail com> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 20:15 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
> If "users will never compile anything" then why are we expected to do
> so?

Users very often compile by their own, this is common practise for *nix
systems.

It would be quite nice if Evolution would intentionally limit itself to the support libraries available in the current versions of Fedora, Ubuntu and Suse.

Last time I tried to compile development Evolution I ended up building all of Gnome. I may as well have been using Gentoo.

Sure, I know the pain. I personally have to develop software using only particular old versions of Boost and never use any C++11 features. In fact I have to stay compatible with G++ 4.1. So I feel sympathy but it is still better for Evolution end users and outsiders who want to hack on the code.