Re: [Evolution] db3

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 17:31, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

I do not insist on 3.2.9. I just would like to be able to use any
version of db3 (3.3.x, 3.4.x) redhat is shipping with its OSes. Without
spending extra N megs for 3.1.17. Since I always build evo myself (every
version), I have to have 3.1.17 installed all the time (/opt/db3...).

Megs?  As in more than one megabyte?  While the source is 1.9 MB for
3.1.17, the library itself is far less than 1 MB.  Just for kicks, I
compiled and installed db-3.1.17 on my RedHat 7.2 system.  The entire
installation (bin, man, etc, & lib dirs) takes up 5.4KB if built as a
shared library (4.7KB is the shared library itself).  It takes 8.9KB if
built as a static library (6.6KB is the static library itself).

In fact, looking at the 47 shared libraries that my RPM of evolution is
built against, 16 are bigger than 6.6KB and at least 9 of those are 1 MB
or greater.  In other words, what are you worried about 6.6KB for??

BTW, should I really explain what are the disadvantages of static
linking?

Not to me, you don't.  You might need someone to explain to you how
cheap hardware like RAM & disk space is if you think an 6.6 kilobyte
library is a horrible waste of resources though :)

--
Brian