Re: [Evolution] db3

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 18:46, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
Search the list archives.  You'll find two things:
Sorry, I could not find the "Search" feature in the list archives:(

1) The Ximian folks use a particular version of db3 for standards
Which standard do you mean? RFC?

actually, what he meant was a standard across all Evolution clients no
matter what platform/version. This way you can copy db files from one
version to another and have it Just Work (tm).

compliance.  If everyone who uses evolution is using the exact same
version of db3, then addressbooks and the like will always work across
platforms and whatnot.
OK. But they even do not provide db3-3.1.7 as src.rpm (sorry, I do not
know about i386.rpm) for RH7.2 (which is shipped with 3.2.9).

We do provide evo-db3 i386 packages for all platforms afaik. I'm not
sure about src packages, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did. I think
they are in the snapshot channel in red-carpet, but I could be wrong.
It's been a while since I've looked :-)

2) The support for that particular version is statically compiled in.
Once you have rebuilt evolution against it, you can safely remove the
3.1.7 installation.
OK. But if I want to build Evo myself... Again, there are reasons why
dynamically-linked libraries are better choice than statically-linked,
aren't there?

The reason that db3.1.17 gets statically linked with Evolution is so
that your system can be using db3.2.9 or db2 or god knows what else and
not cause problems.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast