Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 12:58 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il giorno Fri, 13/05/2011 alle 18.26 +0100, Bastien Nocera ha scritto:
>
> > The correct way to behave then is to work on the search backends, not to
> > complain here.
>
> You have misinterpreted my words; It wasn't a complain for that specific
> events, it was an example (but I suppose we could cite/find others)
> about how upstream could be slow to accept some changes. Or refuse, but
> this is a different story...
>
> > /Bastien, kernel, udev and X.org contributor because fixing things
> > properly is important
>
> Sorry, I don't understand how this "pedigree" could be useful here.

It's just my way of showing that things can be achieved by draining the
swamp. I'm certainly not the biggest contributor to draining the swamp,
but it shows that even though my interests are on GNOME, work is still
needed on the underlying layers to achieve things at the higher level.

In the case of those particular modules, I had to contribute to all
those, in addition to gnome-settings-daemon to make "Disable touchpad"
buttons work on a variety of laptops.

>  Are
> you saying a proper solution to search feature will need changes in
> kernel too? :)

recursive mtime, and fanotify support in the kernel would certainly help
startup performance, and indexing.

Cheers