Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 18:44 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> 2011/5/13 Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org>:
> > Bonus question: are you sure this "all work happens upstream" can lead
> > to better and faster solutions?
>
> I forgot a little example for this: 3 years ago I wrote
> a trivial patch to add a "Search tool" selector in Preferred Application
> preference tool. Start from [1] for reference.
>
> It was rejected, 'cause the "upstream vision" was: we want to provide
> a single search tool, no need to let people to choose their own.
>
> Today GNOME still lacks a search tool/feature :(

The correct way to behave then is to work on the search backends, not to
complain here.

There are plenty of hackish things that we'd like to implement, but they
need to be implemented properly.

/Bastien, kernel, udev and X.org contributor because fixing things
properly is important