Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Il giorno gio, 12/05/2011 alle 18.14 -0400, David Zeuthen ha scritto:

> > So? Why this should be a failure?
>

> Because the premise of System Settings in GNOME 3 is,
> surprisingly, to change your system settings or personalize the
> experience.

So, are there no system settings or personalizations other then the ones
provided by GNOME? 6.x billions of people and only ten (or so) settings
panel?

> We should strive to make this as easy as possible and having 20
> panels such as "Java Settings" or "HTTPD Control" or even "Firewall"
> is something that gets in the way. So if we allowed 3rd party panels,
> it would be a failure because trusting that people won't write broken
> panels like the ones mentioned above is, unfortunately, very naive.

Wait: first, it's GNOME3, not GNOME2, you can't provide a new panel
simply adding a .desktop file with proper keys. You have to develop it
using proper API. This is a first barrier for broken stuff.

Second: are we a censorship? are we fighting against the ugly? are all
non-gnome developers odd and stupid?

It seems your starting point is: everybody's wrong, but not GNOME
people. I feel it really offensive and counterproductive for GNOME
project itself.