Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Il giorno ven, 13/05/2011 alle 12.28 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi ha scritto:
> On 2011-05-13 at 11:56, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> people just took and barely contributed back solutions to
> the common problem space.

"this is the opensource, baby" (cit.)

Once you release your project with an open source licence, you should
know someone will package it and eventually will patch it. And usually
the only constraint is to publish patches somewhere.

This is how upstream-downstream works, this is what occurs, for
instance, in debian-ubuntu-mint relationships. The lower picks up stuff
from the upper, applying some changes in order to fit with its own
ideas. This is not illegal or unethical.

Do you want to link up those relationships? Good, me too, I'm sure the
result will be a virtuous circle, but link up is different from impose
your wills.

It's a two way relationship, if you feel downstreams was unethical,
maybe you should start listening their requests instead asking to follow
the path you decided. Otherwise, it seems to me you are following the
same unethical path, in the opposite manner.

> a uniform, coherent and cogent vision, where the work happens upstream,
> where it belongs, and not downstream *is* a new approach — for us, at
> least.

But this lends me to (at least) two issues:
      * if you move all works and decisions upstream, what will
        downstream become? and when some request from downstream will
        not fit the desired design, what will happen? or when requests
        from different downstreams will clash?
      * what about other third parties, no upstream (gnome.org), no
        downstream (distro), but simply independent developers or
        solution providers? are we going to request them: "embrace GNOME
        or stay in a dangerous limbo"? This seems, by now (see recent
        email in main deja-dup thread) the current solution. And current
        result seems a refusal from Michael (a lose-lose result).

Bonus question: are you sure this "all work happens upstream" can lead
to better and faster solutions?

More I read those ideas of one, single, blessed "GNOME OS", more I
remember the borg collective :P
BTW it will use deb or rpm?

Cheers, Luca