Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Hi,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 12/05/2011 alle 16.51 -0400, David Zeuthen ha scritto:
>
>> Yes. I also think we tried that with GNOME 2 and failed. I mean, look
>> at GNOME 2's control center - on all distros, it's a royal mess of
>> random crap from either GNOME, the distro or 3rd party app written by
>> a kid in a basement.
>
> So? Why this should be a failure?

Why? Because the premise of System Settings in GNOME 3 is,
surprisingly, to change your system settings or personalize the
experience. E.g. we think it genuinely makes sense to e.g. add a
printer, change your desktop background, create an user account and so
on. We should strive to make this as easy as possible and having 20
panels such as "Java Settings" or "HTTPD Control" or even "Firewall"
is something that gets in the way. So if we allowed 3rd party panels,
it would be a failure because trusting that people won't write broken
panels like the ones mentioned above is, unfortunately, very naive.

     David