Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:

>> We should strive to make this as easy as possible and having 20
>> panels such as "Java Settings" or "HTTPD Control" or even "Firewall"
>> is something that gets in the way. So if we allowed 3rd party panels,
>> it would be a failure because trusting that people won't write broken
>> panels like the ones mentioned above is, unfortunately, very naive.
>

> Wait: first, it's GNOME3, not GNOME2, you can't provide a new panel
> simply adding a .desktop file with proper keys. You have to develop it
> using proper API. This is a first barrier for broken stuff.
>
> Second: are we a censorship? are we fighting against the ugly? are all
> non-gnome developers odd and stupid?
>
> It seems your starting point is: everybody's wrong, but not GNOME
> people. I feel it really offensive and counterproductive for GNOME
> project itself.

This is really starting to drift into a highly emotional and
non-productive direction.

Not allowing random third parties to put their pet projects
preferences into the very core of GNOME is very different from
censorship. It is maintaining meaningful boundaries between what is
GNOME and what is not.