Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 23:28 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> >   Maybe replacing the run dialog with deskbar (at least by default) is
> > going a bit too far.  But, please, shipping one more optional applet is
> > not going to hurt anyone.
>
> This would certainly be a nice touch. Maybe with some time, it would
> be possible to do this. Or through the abuse of Bonobo, do it if you
> have opted to run the applet (load the BonoboControl if the factory
> is already running or you have specified a specific "I have memory"
> key).

Ok, i like the approach of an expermiental gconf key to enable alt-f2
replacement, maybe we can try to make that happen, it won't hurt
anybody, and yet will allow to receive feedback from user who choose to
activate it.

A question though, wouldn't this require to disable alt-f2 if the
specific key is found (by patching wherever alt-f2 lives, where ?) ?

Also it woud require the deskbar core to be launched automatically at
session startup and not only on applet addition, bonobo does that ?

I'm feeling i don't grasp the entire subtleties of bonobo, so again if
there is any help or doc out there :)

> I would like to propose it gets renamed however. To simply
> 'Deskbar', or as I always wanted 'Auric'.

Yes Deskbar is a very bad name for a lot of reasons, it is not really
original, it does not represent very well what the application is about,
and google also uses the term deskbar.

Shall we rename this Auric ? I don't know what that means though :)
Maybe someone has another good name ?

Raf.