Re: Possible plan [Was: No Flags "Policy"]

On 2003-11-26(Wed) 01:22:47 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Again, it's all or nothing. You can't take a few "offensive" flags out and
> not expect to be flamed to high heaven by the people who stand by those
> symbols. If there is to be a package of flags, it should be *every* flag,
> and up to distributors / us as to whether they're shipped or not.

Exactly. last time Taiwan people see the removal of Taiwan flags as
downright discrimination of Taiwan. It's this discrimination that people
dislike most, and I'm sure nobody wants to be treated as so.

It's the same if GNOME decides to remove Iraq flags because US dislikes it,
or remove Pakistan flag because India dislikes it. That's unarguable.

Will GNOME remove US flag because somebody find it offensive?

> The solutions raised that make sense include a flag icon theme component,
> localising icons, and a couple of others. Some may be overkill. But we can't
> be halfarsed about it.

Out of these 2, probably localized icons is better solution. Making icon
theme means that somebody won't be able to use particular themes, and
I guess that's not good as well (though better than discrimination).

Local people usually knows what shouldn't appear in their desktop, so
they can tweak it to not offend their gov'n, while others won't have
artificial limitations of choice.

Abel