Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] audiocd view in (net)rhythmbox

fre 2003-05-09 klockan 19.05 skrev Luca Ferretti:
> Il ven, 2003-05-09 alle 09:53, Colin Walters ha scritto:
>
> > I don't really like putting the search box on the bottom.  It just looks
> > weird to me; it's not the normal place for a search.  And besides search
> > should be something we're advertising heavily, not stuffing down in the
> > corner.
>
> Put search in bottom corner is unusual, but do you know the Fitt's law?
>
>         "The time to acquire a target is a function of the distance to
>         and size of the target."
>
> According to Fitt's Law, targets placed along the edges of the screen
> are inherintly 'larger targets' because it's impossible to scroll beyond
> the edge of a screen. Therefore targets should be placed along the edges
> of the screen (Corners are even better, and directly under the mouse is
> best).
>
> An example is panel default settings and applets.
>
> IMHO the real trouble are lists: a lot of visual noise (you 'see better'
> them, don't the search entry).
> A little step can be hide library browser be default.

I think it is quite important to show the browser by default, just to
get the users comfortable with it sooner..
Yea, there is quite a lot of visual noise.. but.. I don't think a lot
can be done about that..

> > iTunes manages to get everything important in the top bar, although they
> > take up a bit more space.  They put the repeat and shuffle buttons in
> > the bottom.  Personally I'd rather put them in the menu, or do something
> > else clever with them.
>
> iTunes is just a different Fitt's law implementation :-)
>
> Repeat and shuffle are status indicators more then buttons :~| we need
> them to quickly see how listed songs will be played
>
> > Attached are two new UI proposals.  One removes the buttons entirely,
> > another adds them back.
>
> I agree: search entry is more visible.
>
> But I don't understand how can I use it in CD and/or playlist view. I
> mean: I'm in cd mode and i type something in search entry: are search
> results from CD or Library or All Sources?

I think having the search entry in the 'view space', like in my mockup
or your first set fixes this problem.

> Unfortunately iTunes' skin makes it more cool :-(
>
> I try to review mochups for start default window keeping in mind:
>       * we need at least volume control and 'multipurpose' button (and
>         music controls too, of couse)
>       * we should try to keep aligned lists, horiz and vert (it's
>         somewhere in HIG)
>       * minimize displayed lists by default (if you want lib browser,
>         open it)
>       * try fo fit Fitt's law (use 'central space' only for lists,
>         edges/corners for controls)
>
> Obviously see glade attach :-) BTW  lists border are changed from IN to
> ETCHED_IN: IMHO is a little more cool using Traditional theme (standard
> gtk+ theme), no changes for some others.

We should use the standard (which is SHADOW_IN) definetely.. :)

I don't think I like these too much either.. they're a bit too messy to
my tastes.. like I said in my reply to Colin I think the iTunes style
doesnt fit very well with the general GNOME style.. but I dunno.. thats
just a feelign I get when I look at the mockups..

Jorn