Re: [orca-list] Capital, Capital, Capital

Hello,

Bohdan R. Rau  wrote / napÃsal(a):
Accented letters are now spoken properly (in Polish) while reading
characters, but still is problem with typing. To insert 'Ã' character I
must press right-alt_semicolon, then 'a'. In gnome-terminal Orca is
silent. In Evolution, gedit and Firefox edit fields Orca speaks 'a'
instead of 'a acute' (or something informative).

I guess this is also related to how Orca processes keys. It does not handle what has just been typed but instead it captures what has been pressed. So I guess we can't fix this in the synth backends.

Military spelling is still unusable with accented letters. Probably it's
similar bug ('mÃj' is spelled as "mike u juliet"), but IMO it needs more
work to be usable with other languages than English. My proposition:

a) provide mechanism allowing individual letter names for particular
language (for example 'Å' in Polish should be spelled 'Åucja')

b) for other letters send string like _("alpha")+" "+_("acute") for 'Ã'.

And I still think it should be done with synthesizer, not screenreader.
[...]

This phonetical spelling is now done all in Orca. So in order to have polish accented letters spelled properly you should be using Orca translated to polish. The fix I made to it is that when spelling punctuation and other marks which can't be expanded to words Orca now threads these like single characters so they are correctly handled in speech-dispatcher and Espeak.

speech-dispatcher and Espeak developers will be perhaps able to workout a way for this spelling so this will be all handled in synth-backend and respective tools and engines rather than in the default.py script of Orca.

Peter