Re: Orca on laptops.

Hi All:

I've been watching mostly from the sidelines because I wanted to hear
from our users before injecting my opinions and such (except mainly for
expressing the opinion that I want to hear from our users ;-)).  What
I'm hearing is that using the Caps_Lock key as the Orca "modifier key"
is an absolute requirement and we should do what we can to make it
happen.

I believe the main problem with the Caps_Lock key is not if we can use
it as the Orca modifier or not.  We can.  The main problem, however, is
that once the user touches the Caps_Lock key, the Lock *modifier* will
still be locked and unlocked.  This presents a serious usability
problem.

I did little experimenting, and I believe we have a simple solution for
this problem.  Having worked on the X Window System since the late
1980's, I'm not sure why this didn't come to me earlier.  The X Windows
System offers a command called "xmodmap" that allows you to muck with
modifier mappings.  For example, the following command will prevent the
Caps_Lock key from acting as a locking key:

  xmodmap -e "clear Lock"

And, for those that want their Caps_Lock behavior back, the following
command restores it:

  xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"

We can use this to solve our problem.  When Orca starts up, it can check
the orcaModifierKeys setting.  If the list includes Caps_Lock, Orca can
execute the magic xmodmap command to clear its locking/unlocking
behavior.

The only issue here is cleanliness and restoring the xmodmap to what it
was before Orca changed it.  I'm not sure this is a big concern.  The
reason is that I assume Orca is going to be something that the user runs
all the time to access their Desktop.

Attached is a patch to orca.py from GNOME CVS HEAD for anyone wants to
play around with this.  You'll need to apply this patch (patch -p0 <
caplock.patch) and you'll need to add/edit the following line to your
~/.orca/user-settings.py (can get blown away) or your
~/.orca/orca-customizations.py (will not get blown away) file:

orca.settings.orcaModifierKeys = ['Caps_Lock']

Btw, you can also do the following if you want both Insert and Caps_Lock
as the Orca modifier key:

orca.settings.orcaModifierKeys = ['Caps_Lock', 'Insert', 'KP_Insert']

Let me know if this works for you.  If it does, we can make it a
permanent part of Orca.

Will