Re: Orca on laptops.

Hi All:

I don't think there's a need to map an existing X modifier to the Orca
modifier.  Orca invents its own modifier internally and allows any key
to act as the Orca modifier.  That's why Insert and KP_Insert can act as
the Orca modifier key.  As such, I'm not sure "which modifier" is an
important discussion to have.

Will

I think we need to resolve this second issue (i.e. of what _modifier_ we
use for orca) before dealing with the first issue (i.e. what physical
key we wish to assign that modifier to).  As I said originally, we only
have a few modifiers to choose from, whatever physical keys we wish to
map them to.  From X.h, we have:

Shift
Lock
Control
Mod1  (usually Alt)
Mod2  (usually 'Meta' ?)
Mod3  (usually NumLock?)
Mod4  (Windows or Menu key, depends on the xkb map)
Mod5  (not sure about this one, either Windows or Menu key on some maps)

I suppose we could use 'Meta', provided we don't mind remapping some
physical key in existing keymaps, since it doesn't seem to be widely
used on PC laptops these days.

The API call which should be used to determine how a particular keysym
maps to a particular modifier bit (for Mod1 through Mod5)  looks like this:

meta_mask = XkbKeysymToModifiers (display, XK_Meta_L);

Note that in theory left and right versions of the 'Meta','Control',
etc. keysyms could be mapped to different mask bits.

best regards,

Bill
Best regards, Lukas