Re: nm-edit

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 02:34 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't see wpa passphrases stored. I see the output of
> what the supplicant's wpa_passphrase would output, a rather long hex key.

Oh, sorry.  I thought you meant nothing was stored in the keyring.
Correct, we only stored the encoded form of the key, so editing is not
possible.

We could look at changing that, but for now run with it as it is.

> So, if Billy entered "dog" into nm-applet, they wouldn't see that. I
> guess in this case, the GUI wouldn't show anything, would just have an
> option to change it.

Nod.

> I actually think the current dialog isn't too bad. It has widgets for
> all of the details. The only thing that would make senses is to space
> the widgets based on logical groupings -- the order of the widgets
> already hints at this. But that might just make it more confusing. The
> Windows applet has all of the information spread over several tabs,
> IIRC, so I think this is better as is. I'll think about it.

Yah, given the mess of information, the current dialog is not half bad.
One big thing is that it does not enforce sane configurations.

> > Is this bad boy in C?  I don't see any reason not to stick it in CVS,
> > under gnome/editor or similar.  Dan?
>
> The boy's not so bad yet, but, yes, it is C. I don't grok python. And I
> just the existence of libnm-util and libnm-glib, which probably have all
> sorts of useful functions. Three cheers for obliviousness.
>
> I'll try making it a little more useful before seeking a home for the
> code. Do you think this should build off of the NetworkManager/gnome
> subdirectory like vpn-properties or have its own autotooled structure?

I think it should build in gnome/editor just like the applet builds in
gnome/applet, personally.  There is already a WITH_GNOME option for
building stuff in that directory.

I think we want to integrate the editor and the applet tightly, but keep
them separate processes.

	Robert Love