Re: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 05:43:42 -0400
"L. D. James" <ljames apollo3 com> wrote:
When I first started programming and was able to output a "Hello
World", I was happy.  It worked.  I made lots of changes and
understood it. When I performed my first I/O  it was just a minimum
number of lines and did a strictly limited task.  I was able to
dissect it in one short session, then start using it productively in
my crude programs.

I'm trying to find this same strict focus with outputting and updating
the gtkmm gui (without user input).  If I can understand this, I'll
have a foundation of which I could build upon.

The point you may not understand is that you would rarely if ever want
to do this in a simple real-world application, and particularly where
your simple application is a learning exercise about using GTK+. GTK+
is, like almost all other GUI toolkits, event driven, and runs in a main
loop. Therefore, if text arrives which you want to put in a widget, it
would normally arrive as an event.  If you are monitoring I/O, you
would use Glib::signal_io().connect() to connect a file descriptor or
Glib::IOChannel object to the main loop. Similar convenience functions
are available for timeouts and idle handlers.

I would strongly advise you not to get involved in using threads until
you have more programming experience.

Chris