Re: GNOME3 & 3D Compatibility [Was: Applications Compatibility]

>> possibly biased benchmarks made by developers, who clearly want people
>> to use Mutter/gnome-shell and not compiz? your own eyes?? (in which
>
> Please don't insult people or question people's credibility.  That is
> unfounded and rude.

I wasn't insulting anyone or attacking anybodies credibility.  i think
that came out the wrong way.  what i mean is generally speaking with
you have 2 groups making the similiar software - both groups will say
that each's implementation is better than the others. they both will
have examples as to why. possibly have tests/benchmarks to support
there position, etc.

I didnt mean that comment the way you think i did.

>> more robust? - if that was true --> then in any and all circumstances
>> gnome-shell/mutter should have zero tearing, zero graphical errors, in
>> situations that would break compiz.
>
> Really?  How does "more robust" == "perfect".  "More robust" means
> m-o-r-e robust [fewer issues].  Please read text as what it means.

I did read your text perfectly fine.... more robust = fewer issues -
yes! this is correct. and the examples used, there were fewer problems
using compiz.

>> Allen, you would have noticed i gave examples as to where
>> gnome-shell/mutter was anything BUT robust. One trip to youtube and
>> watching gnome-shell reviews will show you that it isn't as robust as
>> you think.
>
> I've watched you-tube videos and local videos in GNOME3 with no issues
> at all.  Cheese also works without incident.

I'll dig up some videos then. - half of the video's on youtube show
strange compositing, blue chunks and tearing. I don't how you haven't
seen this.

>> Also, Mutter doesn't even have much to compare with Compiz. I haven't
>> seen mutter produce even a fraction of types of
>> transitions/plugins/GFX that compiz can.
>
> Thank goodness!  GNOME3 only needs to perform the effects that are part
> of the GNOME3 experience.  Compiz is overly complicated;  one of the
> advantages I see as *big* with GNOME3 is that a GNOME3 desktop is a
> GNOME3 desktop; unlike GNOME2+Compiz+GNOME-Do+.... where every desktop
> you sit down at is wildly different.

there are benefits to both. Compiz is only complicated if that is how
you want it... just like you can have the most plain jane experience,
with very few plugins even installed.  I for one, do not use a boat
load of plugins - i only use the stuff that is useful, and improves
the desktop experience (ie: no wobbly windows, or FX that serve no
function).

I'm sorry my message seemed rude Adam, that wasn't my intention.

gotta go, break is over (back to work).

jordan