Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

I'll give you a quick answer to that...

When we first switch to GNOME 3, many of us did not realize we were not upgrading, but switching to a completely new beast. I actually had to take a day off work to comb the internet learning about what's going on and why (we aren't all in the loop with GNOME Journal and Planet GNOME and the like). GNOME 3 is a radical shift away from what we are used to.

So we do a few Google searches and we find a much larger percentage of un-resolved complaints and the same ones over and over. It gives the impression the the core team has not answered (which of course is not the case) or does not care about what *we* think (we being the existing user-base and "power users"). It can be difficult to navigate through the GNOME Wiki.

The point I am making is that while this list has answered some of these same questions and complaints over and over and over--the unanswered posts and blogs seem to drown out the answers. There is a lot of information to sort through. I think some more work can be done on FAQ and that the marketing could do more to reach out to existing GNOME user-base.

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM, G. Michael Carter <mikey carterfamily ca> wrote:

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 13:25 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 19:22 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 13:03 -0400, G. Michael Carter wrote:
> > > When F15 is release we should put this DL on auto-reply.   So many of
> > > these "I don't like Gnome 3" e-mails and they all end the same way.
> > Does it ring some sort of bell when you receive 'many "I don't like
> > Gnome 3" e-mails'? The key word is "many".
> > > I've seen the lack of a menu come up so many times
> > What does it tell to a developer when he sees the same complaint
> > coming up again and again?

Means we're only seeing part of the story?    How many people are complaining on this list because they like Gnome 3?  There are just as many people who like the current layout.   The fact it keeps coming up again and again means people just can't let go or are close minded?

> That some user's don't read the documentation?   That's is half a joke,
> and half serious.

Wrong.

Well right, in my opinion,  as far as the don't read.  This discussion is in the archives of this list many many times.   Why does it have to come up again?