Re: using gsettings / gconf in extensions

Il giorno mer, 25/05/2011 alle 22.14 +1000, Tim Cuthbertson ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to add some gsettings or gconf integration to Erick
> Pérez's workspace indicator extension
> (https://github.com/erick2red/shell-extensions) to allow the user to
> configure the label text format. So I have a couple of questions:
>
> - Is gsettings or gconf preferred for extension code? I have the vague
> impression that gsettings is newer and shinier, but not much more than
> that.

GSettings is the only supported configuration system for GNOME 3.0.
GConf is deprecated (and it's likely to disappear soon from most
systems).

> - Is there a designated (or suggested) namespace or prefix that gnome
> shell extensions should place their conf keys within, or shall I just
> make something up? Should I put it inside
> org.gnome.shell.extensions.<extension-id> or something?

Currently, extensions that use GSettings use
"org.gnome.shell.extensions.<extension-id>" and
"/org/gnome/shell/extensions/<extension-id>", yes. I think you can
follow that prefix, if you plan to have it hosted by
gnome-shell-extensions GIT.
Otherwise, it is better to use your own ID (like
org.project.YourExtension and /org/project/YourExtension), to avoid
clobbering namespaces you don't own.

Giovanni

PS: note that extensions with GSettings must be installed system-wide,
so you'd better have them in gnome-shell-extensions repo, so they're
picked up by distribution packages.