Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 10:48 -0700, Micah Carrick wrote:
> I'll give you a quick answer to that...
> When we first switch to GNOME 3, many of us did not realize we were
> not upgrading, but switching to a completely new beast. I actually had
> to take a day off work to comb the internet learning about what's
> going on and why (we aren't all in the loop with GNOME Journal and
> Planet GNOME and the like). GNOME 3 is a radical shift away from what
> we are used to.

Yes, it is. It is revolutionary.  And I believe that
GNOME3-is-a-big-change was very heavily publicized.

> So we do a few Google searches and we find a much larger percentage of
> un-resolved complaints and the same ones over and over.

Of course - search on *anything* and this is true; it is the nature of
the beast.  People post "complaints", they don't post "works
awesome" (because the are busy using whatever it is).  In my experience
positive posts are often taken as counter productive.

This approach to measuring is right up there is counting bugs -
sophisticated or popular software has so many *more* bug reports than
other software.  Of course.

> It gives the impression the the core team has not answered (which of
> course is not the case) or does not care about what *we* think (we
> being the existing user-base and "power users").

Doesn't give me that impression at all.  Decisions were discussed, and
made.

> The point I am making is that while this list has answered some of
> these same questions and complaints over and over and over--the
> unanswered posts and blogs seem to drown out the answers.

And they always always will.  Nature of the beast.

This weekend I intend to spend some time writing a very positive BLOG
post about GNOME3.