Re: Applications Compatibility

hi Allen,

> This is one I think is a valid concern,  I will also be using Multimedia
> apps for recording and it looks like GNOME Shell is not the right _desktop_
> _shell_ at this rate. I remember one poster here who complains, but with no
> solution for the moment, and for sure he switch to another DE. So my
> question is, how is GNOME shell was designed from the ground-up with
> compatibility between applications especially for those 3D apps? Is this a
> valid concern? I hope for 3.2 things will get easier.

I've had issues in with 3D acceleration, on my 2 desktop machines
(nvidia)... Some applications i use, recommend not using compositors
at all.... however, compiz plays quite nice and works, so i use it -
while gnome-shell is hit and miss. I also have issues with
screen-casting in gnome-shell - it causes weird visual distortions,
searching around youtube, they are some gnome-shell reviews that have
similar distortions...im sure it will all get worked out, eventually.

That being said, i highly recommend investigating for yourself. You
should try Gnome-shell out and see how it works for you, your
workflow, and what you want/require out of your desktop... don't take
my word or anyone else's on the subject. I think this point is an
important one.

In general gnome 3 is pretty good, gnome-shell has integrated some
cool technologies, but for me it's just not ready though.
depending on how you use your machine, your applications, hardware,
etc - Gnome-shell might in fact be absolutely awesome, and work really
well.

so again, i would try it out - give yourself some time to get used to
it and see how it works for you.

jordan