Re: List / Support [Was: We want task bar back. Pretty please.]

Hi Adam,

>>1. "WOW! ~ that is not a good sign."
>> - This is me saying that i am surprised that more gnome-developers
>> don't follow the list. - nothing more... :)

> Why? This is normal.  Most projects have -devel lists / forums and user
> lists / forums.

As Ryan pointed out, there has been so much noise in this list, that
compared to the past, much fewer developers follow this list. this
list is also neither defined as a devel-list or user-list - it is the
gnome-shell-list...

>> 2. "it seems almost pointless to even have a gnome-shell list then, if
>> gnome-developers don't even follow it..?!?"
>> - this was a valid concern as to the usefulness of the gnome-shell
>> list, not sarcasm.
>
> Why?  Ask a question about the Shell; there are knowledgable users here.

actually, that's valid Adam. However, it still creates a huge
disconnect between users and developers if they don't follow the list
to some degree or another.

>> 3. "...and I probably shouldn't have even bothered with my last
>> comment, being as it will fall on deaf-ears/blind-eyes. - anyone who
>> really matters anyway.. I guess this list is just like the
>> GnomeDesktop youtube channel."
>
> Why would you consider a YouTube channel to be a support channel or
> development commentary channel.  It isn't.  Expecting developers to
> monitor every venue is ridiculous.

did I say that i thought the GnomeDesktop channel was a support
channel, or development commentary channel????

no, i did not.

FYI - youtube is exactly tha - a place to view content, interact and
comment on content. once upon a time, there was commenting on their
channel, but because of the negativity, they disabled it.  Much in the
same way as Ryan stated " there is so much noise on this list,
developers no longer follow it".  that is the comparison, that i was
making.

>> this is also stating valid concerns of the usefulness of list that
>> isn't even followed by the gnome project developers.

> This, even if true, doesn't degrade the usefulness of the list.

It doesn't degrade it for the user who is trying to get some quick
info on how to fix something or news on some extension, but it does
certainly degrade it, in terms of the disconnect between users and the
developers.

jordan